WORK/LIFE BALANCE FROM A MOM AND NURSE PRACTITIONER

Summer Book Report

9/18/15

Summer is officially at an end. I had an eventful summer, including a move, a new job and celebrating my son turning 1! I had little time to enjoy my favorite summer pastime and my primary reason for living in Southern California, laying out next to a pool, ocean or any tranquil body of water reading. I did manage to squeeze in a few books, although I did not get the pleasure of enjoying them by the pool or on the beach.

So... starting from the one that is most fresh in my mind A Piece of Cake: A Memoir

Loved it! I'd give this gem 9 stars out of 10. My favorite literary genres are autobiographies, memoirs and bibliographies. I think true life stories are more fascinating than anything fictional. I also love the stories of overcoming adversity and internal struggles often in autobiographies. I've read so
many ranging from Kurt Cobain, President Obama, Steve Jobs, Maya Angalou and Amy Tan. This memoir is the story of Cupcake Brown, a now practicing attorney who after losing her mother at age 11 was thrown into the foster care system and subsequently endures one hardship after the next. Really, your jaw will drop at the amount of trauma and shit this woman went through. However the amount of shocking events that happen in this book, Ms. Brown does not paint herself a victim, and the horrors she endures are almost understated. She becomes hooked on drugs at alcohol at a young age, and her addiction and behavior is often comical, although extremely tragic. Her transformation and ability to make peace with her past is the most powerful part of this book, naturally. I read on Her website that a motion picture is in the works based on her book with the screenwriter of American Psycho. I am not sure how I feel about all that, but I definitely recommend you read this before the movie is made so you are not tainted. My plan was to finish "Wild" before I saw the motion picture so I wouldn't think of Reese Witherspoon as the main character. Unfortunately, I was unable to finish the book because her time on the PCT just was dragging on too long for me, so I will probably just watch the movie. Has anyone read Wild and then saw the movie? What were your thoughts? Is anyone who has read "Piece of Cake" planning on seeing the movie?
Post Comment
Post a Comment