WORK/LIFE BALANCE FROM A MOM AND NURSE PRACTITIONER

5 things my dad taught me

6/19/16
As I've become an adult and a parent, I am now more aware of what impressions were left on me by my parents. As father's day approaches here are some things my dad taught me.
1. How to drive stick shift
Ever since I was a little kid my dad would have me sit in the front seat and change the gears while he drove. When I was old enough he taught me to drive on the back dirt roads near our house. When I drove into a snow bank by accident he would push the truck back out and never really complained when I did it a couple of times in a row. It took me a long time before I mastered driving stick shift on hills, as anyone who had the pleasure of driving with me in my first manual transmission Dodge Neon can tell you.
2. The formula for density is mass/volume
I was a poor student in high school chemistry, but somehow I passed with my dad helping me through homework sessions where I was so frustrated I wanted to pull out my hair. Before we had even learned the formula for density I impressed my teacher by knowing it because my dad had gone over it early with me. Somehow after scraping by high-school chemistry I ended up majoring in chemistry in college and even tutoring organic chemistry.
3. Cross your sevens
My dad being a scientist is very systematic and has computer-font neat handwriting. He always crossed his sevens, which he explained to me was a habit he had picked up from some other smart scientist to differentiate them from letters. I took the seven crossing as a mark of intelligence and continued to do so from then on.
4. Optimism is overrated
My dad isn't a glass half-empty person,  he's a glass completely empty person. Although I am not a pessimist, I developed enough cynicism growing up with a pessimist to be funny.
5.  Stick up for your siblings
When I was around age seven or eight a friend of mine and I picked on my little brother ambushing him with water balloons. When my dad found out he sat me down and told me a story of when his older sister and friend did a similar prank to him, and how it hurt his feelings. To this day that story has really stuck with me. I may not always agree with my brothers, but I will always have their backs.
Post Comment
Post a Comment