WORK/LIFE BALANCE FROM A MOM AND NURSE PRACTITIONER

Medical Social Media Favorites

11/4/16

My use of social media has drastically shifted over the past few years, and I have found so many intriguing social media personalities, if you will, that I find inspiring. I have found there is such a large presence of medical professionals, sites, and apps on social media, that I find both educational and inspirational. I have listed a few social media favorites of mine below that fall into the medical realm.

Figure 1.-
This is an app that is available to anyone within the medical field (techs, medical students, PAs, dentists, etc.) that can share interesting case studies (compliant with HIPPA of course). I really like testing myself and reading the comments and others professionals plans of care on these cases. I have yet to upload any cases myself, but I plan on doing this in the future


Snapchat-
I resisted joining snapchat forever, simply because I was trying to limit my social media use and it seems so ridiculous with all the filters. I still think snapchat is a bit ridiculous and rarely post to snapchat, but I've found a few accounts I like to follow. One in particular is medtakovers. On this account a different health professional or student "takes over" the account and fields questions regarding their career and career path. I really enjoy these takeovers and the exposure to all sorts of medical careers.


Instagram-
@mrs_angemi -This account features all sorts of interesting pathology cases. The pictures are often very gruesome, so not for the faint of heart.
@dr.majestik_md-This is the account of an Orange County ER physician that posts on a lot of interesting ER topics, as well as general health and wellness posts.
@drlindseyfitzharris-This account are posts all about medical history and photos of  historic medical equipment and surgical illustrations. I find this a fascinating look at medicine.


Podcasts-
Ask Dr. Angela-This is a podcast from a Ob/Gyn Dr. Angela that answers women's health questions. She's very upbeat and has a wealth of information on various women's health topics.
The Nurse Practitioner Show-Another podcast (available in app form) run by a nurse practitioenr with guest speakers on variety of medical topics.

Twitter-
Kevin Pho-@kevinmd- A prominent social media influencer whose site (kevinmd.com) has so many articles on relevant health care policy issues.
STAT news-I follow this medical health news site for links to articles on current healthcare issues.

There are plenty more, and a bunch of vloggers and youtube accounts that I have been meaning to check out. If you have any suggestions on accounts in the medical or healthcare field that interest you, leave them in the comments below.
Post Comment
Post a Comment